A delicious mid-week dinner, with earthy, nutty flavours from our Wookey Hole Cave Aged Goats Cheese. This serves 2, so double the recipe for 4.
- 200g puy lentils
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 shallots finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 750ml chicken stock
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts
- 100g goats cheese crumbled
- Pour in 1 tbsp oil to a large heavy bottomed pan, add the shallots and fry until starting to turn golden, add the garlic and fry. Add the lentils along with the bay leaf, thyme and 600ml of the chicken stock. Bring to boil, then simmer for approx 45 mins until the lentils are soft. Drain off any excess liquid and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the remaining 1 tbsp oil into a frying pan. Heat the oil on a medium heat, season the chicken breasts with salt, then place skin-side down and cook until golden brown. Turn the chicken over and cook for a further 5 mins, then add the remaining 150ml of chicken stock to the pan. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for a further 5–10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the goats cheese to the lentils. Serve the chicken on a bed of the lentil and cheese mixture, with the pan juices spooned over.