This family favourite was requested by one of our US customers. Delicious and warming, it will satisfy all cheese lovers!
- 255g macaroni
- 40g butter
- 150g flour
- 280ml whole milk
- 480g Coastal Cheddar grated
- 30g breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper to taste
- add onions & bacon if desired
- Heat oven to 190C
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a saucepan slightly larger than that used for the macaroni. Add the flour and stir to form a roux, cooking for a few minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Cook for 10-15 minutes to a thickened and smooth sauce.
- Remove the sauce from the stove top, add 370g of Coastal cheese and stir until the cheese is well combined and melted.
- Add the macaroni to the sauce and mix well. Transfer to a deep 9x9 glass pan and sprinkle over remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Place in the oven and cook until cheese is bubbling; approx 20 mins. Serve immediately