This recipe is perfect if you have left over croissants.
- 4 croissants
- 40g butter
- 40g flour
- 290ml milk
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 125g Coastal Cheddar plus extra for topping
- salt and pepper
- sliced ham
- Melt the butter in a heavy based pan
- Add the flour and cook for a couple of minutes – the mixture will form a smooth paste – to cook out the taste of the flour.
- Pour in about a quarter of the milk and allow it to bubble a little and then whisk like crazy. Repeat this until all the milk is used up whisking well in between so that the sauce isn’t lumpy.
- Stir in 125 ml cheese, 1 tablespoon of mustard and a good crack of pepper and take off the heat – the cheese will melt so give it a whisk. Check & see if it needs salt. Allow to cool.
- Heat the oven to Gas mark 6/ 200C
- Once the sauce is cool or cold, slice the croissants in half lengthways. Lay the halves on a baking tray. Spread sauce over each of the halves (8) and reserve a little for the top. Lay on a thick slice of ham (if you are using up leftovers then as much or as little as you like). Close the croissant.
- Spread the remaining sauce over each croissant and sprinkle with cheese.
- Pop in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with a simple salad.